Jacopo Vignola & Giacomo della Porta 1571-1584
The primary church of the Jesuit order, Il Gesù, is an important building in the onset of the Baroque period. Its “tabernacle” facade was to serve as a model for other churches.
After the Council of Trent ended in 1563, Archbishop Charles Borromeo encouraged new orders to form and led to their acceptance by the Church. From this new enthusiasm grew the Jesuits – missionaries with the intention of religious education – who needed a new church and artwork. Cardinal Alessandro Farnese agreed to patronize Il Gesù.
Although the architecture of this building facade does not scream “Baroque,” it symbolizes a new interest in urban renewal by the pope and the formation of new religious orders as a means of attaining new art in the city of Rome.